Saturday, February 3, 2018 – Friday, May 11, 2018
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sunday: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
24-hour access available to SOM students, faculty and staff.
The general public is welcome to use School of Medicine Library resources onsite. Borrowing privileges (in-person checkout) are extended to the following individuals:
• School of Medicine faculty, students, and staff
• School of Medicine alumni
• USC faculty, students, and staff
• South Carolina healthcare providers (documentation required)
• Center for Disability Resources (CDR) professionals or family members (NOTE: only CDR materials may be checked out)
• Medical residents or fellows (documentation required)
• SOM Library Circle of Friends members
NOTE: Materials must be checked out in person. Items will not be mailed unless ordered through Interlibrary Loan (there is a charge for this service).
Attorneys, law offices, and general S.C. residents are not permitted to borrow materials. However, they may request books through Interlibrary Loan.
Materials that may be borrowed:
JOURNALS - for one day (date-to-date). No journal issue circulates for the first 30 days after receipt unless it is not the most recent issue, as in the case of weeklies.
BOOKS and CONTINUATIONS - for two weeks.
RESERVE MATERIALS - overnight, from one hour before closing to one hour after opening the next day.
INDEXES, ABSTRACTS, and REFERENCE BOOKS do not circulate.
Journals, books, and continuations may be renewed if another person has not requested the material. Renewals are accepted by telephone (216-3200), in person, or by e-mail sent to email@example.com.
A "HOLD" may be placed on materials that are checked out.
When the material is returned to the library, the person placing the request will be notified and the material will remain at the circulation desk for three days from the date of notification. If the material is not checked out during this time, it will be returned to the collection.
The purpose of placing materials on reserve is to ensure availability. Any faculty member of the School of Medicine may place material on reserve each semester for student use. This should be done at least two weeks before the material is to be made available. Materials will be removed from reserve at the end of each semester unless otherwise specified.
1. Fines for overdue journals, books, and continuations: When library material is overdue, an overdue notice will be sent. If the material is not returned to the library within seven days from the date on the notice, a fine of $.25 a day will be charged and a second notice is sent. The maximum fine for any overdue item is $5.25 (this maximum fine does not apply to charges for "lost/damaged books").
2. Fines for reserve materials: $.25 per half hour.
3. Borrowers are responsible for the cost of replacement of any lost or damaged item.
4. A receipt will be given to the person paying a fine or the cost of lost material.
NOTE: Circulation policies apply equally to all users; privileges may be withdrawn upon failure to adhere to these policies.